Paella Negra is a classic Spanish cuisine, bursting with fresh flavors of the sea. The ink squid enhances more the squid flavor and use homemade chicken stock for a succulent paella!
- 2-3 tablespoons Light Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Shallots, finely chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 3 medium Squid Tubes, sliced
- 8 pieces medium Shrimps
- ½ teaspoon teaspoon Chili Flakes
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Squid Ink
- 250 grams if using Valencia Rice or 200 grams if using Bomba Rice
- 1 liter Homemade Chicken Stock
- Fresh Arugula leaves for garnish
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Make aioli. Combine mayonnaise and garlic in a bowl. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Heat a paella pan or a deep heavy-based saucepan with olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped shallots, sauté for couple of minutes or until they are softened.
- Move the shallots and garlic on one side of the pan. Add the shrimps into the pan, season with salt. Once the shrimps are cooked, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Move back the shallots and garlic in the middle of the pan. Add the squid, season with salt, and stir through for 2 minutes.
- Add the chili flakes, paprika, and tomato paste, continue stirring then add in the rice. Stir the rice until it is coated in oil.
- Pour half of the chicken, and stir the rice until well combined. At this stage, season the paella with salt. Scrape the bottom of the pan to make sure no food bits is burning.
- Simmer and leave 20 minutes. Rotate the paella pan for even heat.
- If Paella looks dry before rice has cooked completely, add more chicken stock. Do not stir rice and gently shake the pan every 5 minutes.
- Once the paella is cooked, turn off the heat. Put the shrimps and parsley on top. Cover the paella pan with aluminum for for five minutes.
- Garnish paella negra with arugula, and serve immediately straight from the pan.
- Serve with aioli.
Chef Sheilla http://www.chefsheilla.com/